Sadness and loneliness are moods of the mind, that is, objectively it does not exist in nature outside of your head. It is like the color of the glass you are looking through: change the glass and the world will change colors.
What to do when you are sad and lonely? Everything is possible, the main thing is to have a desire, and we will help you with everything else. Returning the mood to normal can be difficult only for those who have serious reasons to be sad, or for those who do not know what to do about this. For everyone else, if you are sad and want to cry, just spend a little time and use our tips that you will find below.
Our tips are good because anyone can use them in almost any environment. They will not work only if your boredom and sadness are atypical and are the result of a more serious problem than a bad day. We assure you that even immediately after reading our article you will already have a positive attitude, a charge of positive energy, and the motivation to change your life. But first, let’s figure out what is the reason of your feelings.
Find Out The Reason of Your Loneliness: 5 Variants of What Could Happened With You
Various factors can promote feelings of loneliness. Here are five possible reasons:
- Your expectations have not been met. A lot of people are depressed after breaking up in relationships, it could be really difficult. When you anticipate how you would like certain circumstances in your life to turn out, you expect everything to go according to your plan. But in life, everything can happen unexpectedly. Perhaps this is the reason for your negative feelings.
- You have locked yourself in. Loneliness can not only be motivated by external circumstances but may also be the result of the attitude of the person who tries to protect themselves from new disappointments.
- Idealization of the life of others. You look at other people’s Instagram photos and feel like they have a dream life compared to your own. Don’t let yourself overshadow this kind of mirage, because life doesn’t allow comparisons as long as its essential truth is measured.
- You are away from your family and friends. If you are sad and lonely after moving to a new city or country for some reason and you are still in the process of adapting to a new environment in which you hope to form your social circle. In this case, be patient, because everything takes time.
- You are emotionally burnt out. Perhaps in your life, there were many problems and tasks that you had to solve and you are tired of feeling tense, because of this, you may feel sad and alone. You just need a rest.
A Complete Guide to Coping With Loneliness and Sadness: Find Out the Solution
Sadness and loneliness hurt, they make us feel vulnerable. What to do when you are lonely and sad? You can do something to change your inner perception because your attitude changes your world. Later in the article, we give you ideas to achieve this goal. What do you do when you’re sad and lonely? Follow our instructions and you will see how your life will change!
1. Acknowledge the problem
If you suddenly realize that you feel lonely, do not hesitate to admit it to yourself and your loved ones. Despite your fear or shame, it is essential, to be honest, and face the problem. Trying to turn away from it, only drives you to an emotional dead end.
2. Learn to appreciate and take care of yourself
What to do when you are lonely? Use solitude to reflect and take care of yourself. Yes, right now you can’t go for a walk with a friend or a tinder date with a stranger, but you have a chance to do something nice for yourself. Do not expect care from others, first understand what exactly you need to feel comfortable.
Try meditation. If this is your first experience, then a few minutes is enough: focus on something pleasant and calming, such as the image of the ocean or a garden. Think about what you are grateful for. This practice will free you from negative emotions.
3. Get creative
Here we will talk specifically about drawing because it is good at helping people cope with sadness. But what exactly to draw depends on why you are lonely and sad. If the reason for this is the tension caused by a specific cause, the process of overcoming this cause should be drawn. This practice is offered to their patients by art therapists and specialists in the field of eliminating psychological problems with the help of creativity. You draw what you want to do, and the process of sublimation starts, that is, the substitution of real action with a creative analog, and it becomes easier for you. If you just have nothing to do, then draw anything. If you don’t know how to draw, open a photo editor and edit pictures.
4. Get a pet
If you have no one to share your monotonous quarantine leisure time with, what about a pet? Psychiatrist Arpit Aggarwal claims, based on his practice, that a cat or dog will help you get more satisfaction from the routine and cope with discouragement. Take care of a little fluffy creature that will return you with warmth and affection if you are sure that you can handle the responsibility for it.
5. Love yourself
What to do when you are depressed and lonely? When you don’t want to see anyone, it’s time to take care of yourself.
- Pamper your body. Light candles in the bathroom, turn on relaxing music, add aromatic oil to warm water, relax and enjoy.
- Change your image. Get rid of your hair color, and get a new hairstyle. For girls – choose a new make-up for yourself, do a manicure.
- Review your wardrobe. Give preference to clothes in bright colors. Know that orange and red inspire optimism, yellow gives confidence and purple and blue calm. Hide gray, black, and brown clothes away. It won’t be of any use to you anytime soon.
- What to do when you are lonely? Enjoy your loneliness. In our hectic life, we do not often manage to be alone with ourselves. If this happens, a useful tip would be to disconnect from everything that annoyed you so much: it’s time to clean up your soul and hear the voice of your heart.
6. Go outside more often
What to do when you are bored and lonely? The longer you sit at home – the more you focus on experiences; and it’s not far to increase the feeling of loneliness and uselessness. The street environment will put you in a positive mood: you can read a book, make sketches from nature, look at city sights, and take a walk with an audio guide in familiar places. Perhaps you will meet someone you know – even if this does not happen, you will make your condition more manageable.
7. Focus on your needs
It also happens that you seem to be aware of your loneliness, but there is no desire to contact people either. This state does not always indicate a passion for communication. Loneliness signals to us that we are not being heard or understood. The same applies to ignoring needs. Perhaps you have been feeling physical fatigue for a long time, which, after itself, gave rise to emotional burnout and negative emotions. In this case, you need to take care of comfort.
What to do when you are lonely? Try to spend time for taking care of yourself. This will help you change the regime of the day, the transition to a healthy diet, and rest, both active and passive. If possible, take a short vacation and think about activities that please you.
8. Cope yourself or consult a specialist
Recognizing your loneliness is the first step in solving the problem. However, are you able to change your habits and change something to influence the situation? Psychotherapist Howard Foreman believes that even small steps will help you understand how ready you are for action. For example, if you signed up for a team sports webinar even though you don’t like this, or if you wrote a message to an old friend you haven’t talked to in a while, this is already an important action.
What to do when you are lonely? If you experience deep longing and think about your impotence, try talking to a specialist. Self-help methods are good up to a certain point, but sometimes you have to seek professional support from psychotherapists and this is also normal.
9. Invite friends for a walk
It sounds too obvious, but according to psychotherapist Jennifer Weaver-Breitenbacher, few people take this advice seriously:
Patients sometimes say that no one invites them to meet, but when I ask them how often they call friends, I hear only: “Never.” – says the specialist.
Do not be afraid to take the initiative in your own hands, invite a friend to take a walk, without making any guesses about their further reaction. Perhaps they have long wanted to get in touch but were afraid of a possible refusal. In this case, a friend will be glad at the prospect of a meeting.
10. Immerse yourself in the web of love and romance
What to do when you are lonely and single? Psychologists say that feeling in love brings positive benefits to a person’s mental health. It reduces anxiety and relieves stress. Therefore, another of the most effective tips to get rid of sadness and loneliness is to go in search of love! All that is needed for a heart that is experiencing loneliness is a beloved one. You can make new acquaintances, and new friends and possibly meet your love and build happy relationships without even leaving your home. It’s good that in today’s world you can meet people online! An excellent option is a dating site, where you can even choose interlocutors based on your preferences. We recommend that you register and make new acquaintances on a dating site. By communicating with people, even online chatting, you will not feel lonely.
Many people encounter such not-so-pleasant feelings in their lives as sadness and loneliness. But those who know how to cope with such emotions get out of this state easily and quickly, and those who believe that nothing can be done about it drive themselves into depression. What to do when you are lonely? In the article, we gave you effective ways that are proven and have helped many people regain harmony and happiness in life. Right now you should make yourself a plan of tasks that you read in our article, the execution time is a week. We guarantee that everything is in your hands and you will succeed if you want it. Remember that life is only one!
John MaCallan is a renowned dating expert with over 10 years of experience in the industry. He is known for his practical and insightful advice on all aspects of dating, from online dating profiles to first date etiquette. Whether you’re looking to improve your online dating profile, navigate the world of modern dating, or find your soulmate, John can help.